Click Buy Now and proceed through checkout to enroll in the Sailing Endorsement Course.
Once checked out, you are redirected to your “My Courses” page where you can click on your course to get started. Take your Final Examination Online!
If you have questions please do not hesitate to contact us.
Full Course Description
Please read through the informational tabs.
Online Sailing Endorsement Course
Add an Assistance Towing Endorsement to your OUPV or Master captains license. It can be added to a current license or applied for at the same time as your original captain’s license. A Towing Endorsement allows you to engage in commercial assistance towing within the scope of your license.
Everything needed to complete the Auxiliary Sail Endorsement Course and Online Final Examination is included in the purchase price of the course and is located in the online classroom.
The Exam Module listed below makes up the Sailing Endorsement Course.
- Auxiliary Sail
Complete the Exam Module by passing quizzes which unlock topics sequentially. The final practice quiz unlocks a Certificate of Achievement for the exam module. Unlock the Certificate of Achievement for the exam module and you are ready for the Online Final Examination.
Your “My Courses” Page
Upon purchase of a course you are redirected to your “My Courses” page. This page gives you access to your course and the exam module which makes up the course. Purchase the Online Sailing Endorsement Course and the following courses show up on your My Courses page.
- Sailing Endorsement – the main course that triggers enrollment in other courses
- Final Examination Auxiliary Sail – the final exams you take with your proctor
- USCG Application Packet Course – helps you fill out your USCG Application Packet
In addition to being redirected to your “My Course” page upon purchase you receive an email with the subject “US Captains Training Username and Password.” This email allows you to reset your password and access your account details.
Online Final Examination
Take the Final Examination Online as soon as you are ready. The process is convenient, reliable and USCG approved. There is no software to download and your proctor mentors you through the process.
Complete the Exam Modules which make up your Sailing Endorsement Course. You must complete your Exam Modules before you may schedule your Final Examination.
Contact us to connect with your proctor for the Online Final Examination. During the initial consultation you schedule your first exam session as well as ask questions you might have about the process.
Pass the Final Exam for the Exam Module which makes up the Sailing Endorsement Course. Below is the Exam Module as well as the number of questions and passing grade that make up the Online Final Examination for the Sailing Endorsement Course.
- Auxiliary Sail – 20 Questions – 70% to pass
Answers to FAQs
Below are answers to the most frequently asked question we receive about the Online Final Examination.
- You may take the final examination in multiple sessions so you can review and study between sessions.
- Once you start the final examination you have 90 days to finish.
- You have three chances to pass each exam module.
- If you fail any exam module three times the USCG requires that you must retake the entire final examination.
- If you need to start over you do not need to repurchase the course, you simply pay a retest fee to compensate the proctor for a second round of testing.
- The online Final Examination is the only final examination you need to take. There is no testing with the USCG. Our Online Final Examination has been approved by the USCG and is in lieu of testing at the REC.
The USCG qualifications an applicant must meet to hold a Sailing Endorsement are presented below and based on the following checklists:
- Inland/Great Lakes and Inland Master 100
- Near Coastal Master 100
- Inland/Great Lakes and Inland Master 200
- Near Coastal Master 200
Applicants must have a master captain’s license to hold a sailing endorsement or submit sailing endorsement with an original application for master captain’s license.
Sea Service Requirements
The scope or “route endorsement” of your sailing endorsement is based on the geographic location in which you gained your sea service and may be either Inland, Great Lakes & Inland or Near Coastal. A Near Coastal route endorsement also covers “subordinate routes” such as Great Lakes & Inland.
Near Coastal Sailing Endorsement
- 360 days on sail or auxiliary sail vessels, and
- Complete Approved course
Great Lakes and Inland Sailing Endorsement
- 180 days on sail or auxiliary sail vessels
- Complete Approved course (Sailing Endorsement Course)
To qualify for the 200 GRT Sailing Endorsement
- 90 days (25%) required on sail or auxiliary sail vessels of 101 GRT or above, OR 180 days (50%) required on sail or auxiliary sail vessels of 67 GRT or above
USCG License Application
You must submit an Application Packet to the US Coast Guard (USCG) to earn a license. You may submit your application packet to the USCG before or after taking a course.
IMPORTANT: Your course completion certificate (Certificate of Training) will satisfy the testing requirements for your license however, we recommend preparing your application and submitting it ASAP. The application evaluation process typically takes 4 to 6 weeks. You do NOT need to include your course completion certificate with your application. If your application is evaluated and approved for issuance, you will be given one year to complete the course!
If you need help putting your application together, we have prepared the following resources:
- A USCG Application Packet Course is included with your purchase! This course contains videos that guide you through each section of each form that makes up a USCG Application Packet so you can submit it to the USCG yourself.
- We have created an Application Form Generator to help prefill some of the forms for you.
- The National Maritime Center website has resources including live chat if you have questions for the USCG.
- If this process seems overwhelming, time consuming, or if you just want professional help putting your application together, we recommend contacting Diamond Marine Services. The team at DMS have credentialing experts and former National Maritime Center evaluators on their staff and can quickly guide you to a complete and properly prepared application. You can reach them at 877-335-6341.
A USCG application packet contains everything the USCG needs to process and issue your captain’s license. Fill out the Forms and complete the Tasks below to create an application packet. Don’t forget to try our Application Form Generator!
The US Coast Guard (USCG) application packet consists of the following USCG forms. Visit our Application Page for video tutorials of each form.
- Application – APPLICATION FOR MERCHANT MARINER CREDENTIAL (FORM CG-719B)
- Sea Service – SMALL VESSEL SEA SERVICE FORM (OPTIONAL CG – 719S)
- Physical – APPLICATION FOR MEDICAL CERTIFICATE (FORM CG 719K)
- Drug Test – DOT/USCG PERIODIC DRUG TESTING FORM (OPTIONAL 719P)
- Oath Form – Merchant Mariner Oath (46 USC)
- Conviction Statement – DISCLOSURE STATEMENT FOR NARCOTIC, DWI/DUI, AND/OR OTHER CONVICTIONS (OPTIONAL FORM CG-719C)
- Certificate of Training – Issued upon course completion
To complete an application packet you must complete the following tasks.
- TWIC – Applicants for original licenses must apply for a TWIC and include the receipt in their application packet.
- Pay.Gov – Go to Pay.Gov and pay processing and issuance of your license.
- CPR & First Aid – Take this USCG Approved Online CPR & First Aid Course. Send a copy of your CPR & First Aid Card in with your application packet.
Application Packet Costs
The total cost of completing a USCG application packet will vary. The figures below are cost estimates based on our experience.
- Physical and Drug Test – $160 – This is our best estimate for a physical and drug test.
- Any primary care physician can complete the USCG Physical (719K).
- We recommend US Drug Test Centers 866-566-0261 for scheduling a drug screen at a local lab.
- TWIC – $125 – Applicants for original licenses must apply for a TWIC.
- Pay.Gov – $145 – Pay for processing and issuance of your license. Renewals and modification of an existing license will cost less.
- CPR & First Aid $74.95 – Online and USCG Approved.
Certificate of Training
The Certificate of Training satisfies USCG testing requirements. Once you complete the course and online final examination your Certificate of Training is issued. As a reminder, you can prepare and submit your application before completing the course. Keep in mind that due to USCG regulation, your Certificate of Training is only valid for one year.
- If you completed the course first, please include your certificate of training with your application.
- If you have already submitted your application, you can send your Certificate of Application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email your Application Packet
Please follow the USCG Electronic Submission Instructions to email your complete USCG Application Packet to the Regional Examination Center (REC) nearest you. The USCG processes and issues your license once they have evaluated your application packet. The USCG evaluation process takes about four to six weeks.
If your packet is incomplete or filled out incorrectly the USCG will mail you a letter explaining what additional information they need. Get that information together and send it to the USCG to keep the process moving.