Below is information about the Online Captain’s License Course including:
- Which online modules make up the Captain’s License Course
- How to enroll in modules
- Recommended class materials
- How to complete modules
- How to schedule your in person final exams
- USCG approved Certificate of Training
Online Captain’s License Course
The Online Captain’s License Course consists of four modules:
Visit our Shop and add them to your cart.
Completion of the four Online Captain’s License Course Modules qualifies you to test for either a Master Captain’s License up to 100 ton or an OUPV (Six Pack). The choice is yours but we strongly urge you to test for the masters license and not limit yourself to six passenger.
Enrolling in the Online Captain’s License Course Modules
To enroll in the Captain’s License Course Modules visit our Shop.
- Add the module(s) listed above to your cart, view your cart and then proceed to checkout.
- When you purchase modules an account is created for you in our online classroom and you are automatically enrolled in the modules you purchased.
- You receive three emails:
- 1) username and password for the website shopping cart
- 2) username and password for the online classroom
- 3) a receipt for the purchase
- You can enter the course and begin to study
When you proceed to check out and purchase the modules an account is created for you in our online classroom and you are automatically enrolled in the modules you purchased.
Most students buy one of two book packages from our Shop:
All of the books, tools, and chart may be purchased individually from our Shop.
Completing the Online Captain’s License Course Modules
Passing all of the quizzes in a module unlocks a Certificate of Achievement and shows you are ready to test in person for that module. Print your Certificate of Achievement for each module and bring them to the in person final exams. Most students test for all four exam modules which make up the Captain’s License Course in one day.
How Long Does it Take to Complete the Modules?
The time it takes to complete the Online Captain’s License Course Modules varies from student to student. Typically it takes about one week per module if you dedicate two hours a day, five days a week.
Scheduling in Person Final Exams
The cost of testing is included in the price of the modules. The in person final exams take place by appointment at one of our USCG approved testing sites.
Follow these steps to schedule in person final exams:
- Check out the interactive map below
- Click on a location to get the instructor’s contact information
- Contact the instructor and schedule a time that works for both of you
- Show up with your Certificates of Achievement and take the exams
Your instructor grades your exams right then and there so you know what you got on each exam. When you pass your exams the instructor emails your student file to US Captain’s Training and we process your file. We then issue a Certificate of Training which satisfies testing requirements for the USCG.
Certificate of Training
You must include your Certificate of Training in your captain’s license application packet which you mail to a Regional Exam Center to get your license. Your Certificate of Training will be emailed to you once your file has been processed. You will also received two hard copies of your Certificate of Training and a receipt for the course via snail mail. One copy for your records and one to send to the USCG in your application packet for your license.
To get your captain’s license you must submit an application packet to the US Coast Guard Regional Examination Center (REC). For detailed instructions on the application packet visit our Application Page. We have all of the required forms and videos for each section of each form that you must fill out and submit. You are welcome to contact us for help with your application packet.