Online Captain’s License Courses
Each USCG approved course is composed of exam modules. Some courses have only one exam module, examples of these courses are Sailing, Towing, Upgrades and Renewal. Some courses have multiple exam modules, examples of these courses are OUPV (Six Pack), Master, Steersman, AB and Increase in Scope from Inland to Near Coastal. To complete a course you must finish the online exam module(s) that make up the course and then take an Online Final Examination with our USCG approved online examination specialist.
*Bonus* A USCG Application Packet Course is included with any course purchase! It contains videos that guide you through each section of each form that makes up a USCG Application Packet. You may also use our comrades at Diamond Marine Services to ensure your application packet is complete, submitted properly, and results in the best license for you in a timely manner.
The qualifications an applicant must meet to hold a captain’s license are found in a USCG checklist. The USCG Checklist Page is helpful but may be overwhelming. To find the checklist that pertains to the course you are interested in visit our Shop, choose the course you are interested in and scroll down under the product images to click on the “LICENSE QUALIFICATIONS” info tab. You will see a link to the checklist(s) that pertain to that license.
To enroll in a course go to our Shop, click on the course, click the “Buy Now” button and proceed through checkout. Once checked out, you are redirected to your “My Courses” page where you can click on your course to get started. If you have questions please do not hesitate to contact us.
The OUPV, Master, and Steersman courses have materials that are shipped to you once your order is placed. Other courses have all of the resources needed to complete them in the online classroom. To see what is included with each course visit our Shop, click on the course you are interested in and check out the product images. Read through the full course description located under the product images to gain an understanding of the entire process from start to finish. There are four informational tabs to read through, they are; Course Description, License Qualifications, Final Examination and License Application.
Complete the Course
To complete the course students must unlock topics sequentially by passing quizzes. Once all of the quizzes in an exam module are passed a Certificate of Achievement is unlocked for that module. Print it, sign it and email it to your proctor during the Online Final Examination. All of the exam modules that make up a course must be completed before the Online Final Examination. Courses do not expire, you get lifetime access to the course! You have as much time as you need to complete the course and review before you schedule your Online Final Examination.
Online Final Examination
Take your Final Examination Online as soon as you are ready! Contact us to connect with our USCG approved online examination specialist and schedule.
USCG License Application
You must submit an Application Packet to the US Coast Guard (USCG) to earn a license. You may submit your application packet to the USCG before or after taking a course.
IMPORTANT: Your course completion certificate (Certificate of Training) will satisfy the testing requirements for your license however, we recommend preparing your application and submitting it ASAP. The application evaluation process typically takes 4 to 6 weeks. You do NOT need to include your course completion certificate with your application. If your application is evaluated and approved for issuance, you will be given one year to complete the course!
If you need help putting your application together, we have prepared the following resources:
- A USCG Application Packet Course is included with your purchase! This course contains videos that guide you through each section of each form that makes up a USCG Application Packet so you can submit it to the USCG yourself.
- We have created an Application Form Generator to help prefill some of the forms for you.
- The National Maritime Center website has resources including live chat if you have questions for the USCG.
- If this process seems overwhelming, time consuming, or if you just want professional help putting your application together, we recommend contacting Diamond Marine Services. The team at DMS have credentialing experts and former National Maritime Center evaluators on their staff and can quickly guide you to a complete and properly prepared application. You can reach them at 877-335-6341.
A USCG application packet contains everything the USCG needs to process and issue your captain’s license. Fill out the Forms and complete the Tasks below to create an application packet. Don’t forget to try our Application Form Generator!
The US Coast Guard (USCG) application packet consists of the following USCG forms. Visit our Application Page for video tutorials of each form.
To complete an application packet you must complete the following tasks.
- TWIC – Applicants for original licenses must apply for a TWIC and include the receipt in their application packet.
- Pay.Gov – Go to Pay.Gov and pay processing and issuance of your license.
- CPR & First Aid – Take this USCG Approved Online CPR & First Aid Course. Send a copy of your CPR & First Aid Card in with your application packet.
Application Packet Costs
The total cost of completing a USCG application packet will vary. The figures below are cost estimates based on our experience.
- Physical and Drug Test – $160 – This is our best estimate for a physical and drug test.
- Any primary care physician can complete the USCG Physical (719K).
- We recommend US Drug Test Centers 866-566-0261 for scheduling a drug screen at a local lab.
- TWIC – $125 – Applicants for original licenses must apply for a TWIC.
- Pay.Gov – $145 – Pay for processing and issuance of your license. Renewals and modification of an existing license will cost less.
- CPR & First Aid $74.95 – Online and USCG Approved.
Certificate of Training
The Certificate of Training satisfies USCG testing requirements. Once you complete the course and online final examination your Certificate of Training is issued. As a reminder, you can prepare and submit your application before completing the course. Keep in mind that due to USCG regulation, your Certificate of Training is only valid for one year.
- If you completed the course first, please include your certificate of training with your application.
- If you have already submitted your application, you can send your Certificate of Application via email to email@example.com.
Email your Application Packet
Please follow the USCG Electronic Submission Instructions to email your complete USCG Application Packet to the Regional Examination Center (REC) nearest you. The USCG processes and issues your license once they have evaluated your application packet. The USCG evaluation process takes about four to six weeks.
If your packet is incomplete or filled out incorrectly the USCG will mail you a letter explaining what additional information they need. Get that information together and send it to the USCG to keep the process moving.