Click Buy Now and proceed through checkout to enroll in the Virtual OUPV Captain’s License Course. You are redirected to your “My Courses” page where you click on your course to enter the online classroom and get started.
You will receive a phone call from your instructor within 36 hours to review the course structure and set up your training. We mail your Book Package USPS Priority Mail and it should arrive in about five days.
Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns.
Full Course Description
Please read through the informational tabs.
Virtual OUPV Captain’s License Course
Take the Journey, Trust the Process! We know the path, we have the resources, we are your Captain’s Licensing Sherpa. The Virtual OUPV Captain’s License Course provides a great option for those who seek Structure, Personal Interactive Instruction,”Real-life” examples and Feedback from a USCG Approved instructor.
Virtual OUPV Captain’s License Courses typically meet for about two hours twice a week for six weeks. The schedule is flexible and customized for each student and the success rate for the Online Final Examination is over 98%. You will receive a phone call from your instructor within 36 hours to review the course structure and set up your training.
Earn an OUPV (Six Pack) Captain’s License and take up to six paying passengers, up to 100 miles offshore, on a vessel up to 100 GRT. Complete the course entirely Online including the Final Examination. Schedule your Final Examination as soon as you complete the Exam Modules which make up your course.
The Book Package needed to complete the Virtual OUPV (Six Pack) Captain’s License Course is included in the purchase price. It is shipped USPS Priority and arrives in about five days. The package contains the following items:
The four exam modules listed below make up the Virtual OUPV Captain’s License Course.
- Rules of the Road: International and Inland
- Navigation General: Near Coastal
- Chart Navigation
- Deck General/Safety
Complete the Exam Modules by passing quizzes which unlock topics sequentially. The final practice quiz unlocks a Certificate of Achievement for the exam module. Unlock the Certificate of Achievement for each exam module and you are ready to schedule the Online Final Examination.
Your “My Courses” Page
Upon purchase of a course you are redirected to your “My Courses” page. This page shows your course and exam modules which make up the course(s) you purchased. When you purchase the Virtual OUPV (Six Pack) Captain’s License Course the following courses show up on your My Courses page.
- Virtual OUPV – the main course that triggers enrollment in other courses
- Rules of the Road: International and Inland – exam module
- Navigation General: Near Coastal – exam module
- Chart Navigation – exam module
- Deck General/Safety – exam module
- Final Examination OUPV – the final exams you take with your proctor
- USCG Application Packet Course – helps you fill out your USCG Application Packet
In addition to being redirected to your “My Course” page you will receive an email with the subject “US Captains Training Username and Password.” This email allows you to reset your password and access your account details.
Online Final Examination
Take the Final Examination Online as soon as you are ready. The process is convenient, reliable and USCG approved. You are never alone during Online Final Examinations. Your proctor is always present to guide you through the process.
Complete the Exam Modules which make up your Virtual OUPV (Six Pack) Captain’s License Course. You must complete your Exam Modules before you may schedule your Final Examination.
Contact us to connect with your proctor for the Online Final Examination. During the initial consultation you schedule your first exam session as well as ask questions you might have about the process.
Pass the Final Exam for each of the Exam Modules which make up the Virtual OUPV (Six Pack) Captain’s License Course. Below is a list of the Exam Modules as well as the number of questions and passing grade.
- Rules of the Road: International and Inland – 50 Questions – 90% to pass
- Navigation General: Near Coastal – 50 Questions – 70% to pass
- Chart Navigation – 10 Questions – 90% to pass
- Deck General/Safety – 50 Questions – 70% to pass
Answers to FAQs
Below are answers to the most frequently asked question we receive about the Online Final Examination.
- You may take the final examination in multiple sessions so you can review and study between sessions.
- Once you start the final examination you have 90 days to finish.
- You have three chances to pass each exam module.
- If you fail any exam module three times the USCG requires that you must retake the entire final examination.
- If you need to start over you do not need to repurchase the course, you simply pay a retest fee to compensate the proctor for a second round of testing.
- The online Final Examination is the only final examination you need to take. There is no testing with the USCG. Our Online Final Examination has been approved by the USCG and is in lieu of testing at the REC.
The USCG qualifications an applicant must meet to hold an OUPV captains license are presented below and based on the USCG Checklist for OUPV Captain’s License.
- Must have U.S. Citizenship
- Must be at least age 18
- Medical Certificate Requirement
- Original – Must hold a valid Medical Certificate or be approved for
- Renewal, ROG, New Endorsement – Must hold an unexpired Medical
Certificate or submit a Medical Certificate application
- Original – Must hold a valid Medical Certificate or be approved for
- Drug Testing Compliant
- Mariner Fees must be paid
Sea Service Requirements
The scope or “route endorsement” of your license is based on the geographic location in which you gained your sea service and may be either Inland, Great Lakes & Inland or Near Coastal. A Near Coastal route endorsement allows the holder to operate up to 100 miles offshore and also covers “subordinate routes” such as Great Lakes & Inland.
OUPV Captain’s License
- 360 days total
- 90 days in the last three years
- 90 days on either Oceans, Near Coastal or Great Lakes waters
- 90 days on the Great Lakes
- If you do not have time on Oceans, Near Coastal or Great Lakes waters you get an Inland
- First Aid (completed within 1 year) (original only)
- CPR (must be valid) (original only)
- Course completion certificate in lieu of Coast Guard examination (Online OUPV Course)
Commercial Assistance Towing (Optional)
- Complete CG exams or Approved course. (Towing Endorsement Course)
USCG License Application
You must submit an Application Packet to the US Coast Guard (USCG) to earn a license. You may submit your application packet to the USCG before or after taking a course.
IMPORTANT: Your course completion certificate (Certificate of Training) will satisfy the testing requirements for your license however, we recommend preparing your application and submitting it ASAP. The application evaluation process typically takes 4 to 6 weeks. You do NOT need to include your course completion certificate with your application. If your application is evaluated and approved for issuance, you will be given one year to complete the course!
If you need help putting your application together, we have prepared the following resources:
- A USCG Application Packet Course is included with your purchase! This course contains videos that guide you through each section of each form that makes up a USCG Application Packet so you can submit it to the USCG yourself.
- We have created an Application Form Generator to help prefill some of the forms for you.
- The National Maritime Center website has resources including live chat if you have questions for the USCG.
- If this process seems overwhelming, time consuming, or if you just want professional help putting your application together, we recommend contacting Diamond Marine Services. The team at DMS have credentialing experts and former National Maritime Center evaluators on their staff and can quickly guide you to a complete and properly prepared application. You can reach them at 877-335-6341.
A USCG application packet contains everything the USCG needs to process and issue your captain’s license. Fill out the Forms and complete the Tasks below to create an application packet. Don’t forget to try our Application Form Generator!
The US Coast Guard (USCG) application packet consists of the following USCG forms. Visit our Application Page for video tutorials of each form.
- Application – APPLICATION FOR MERCHANT MARINER CREDENTIAL (FORM CG-719B)
- Sea Service – SMALL VESSEL SEA SERVICE FORM (OPTIONAL CG – 719S)
- Physical – APPLICATION FOR MEDICAL CERTIFICATE (FORM CG 719K)
- Drug Test – DOT/USCG PERIODIC DRUG TESTING FORM (OPTIONAL 719P)
- Oath Form – Merchant Mariner Oath (46 USC)
- Conviction Statement – DISCLOSURE STATEMENT FOR NARCOTIC, DWI/DUI, AND/OR OTHER CONVICTIONS (OPTIONAL FORM CG-719C)
- Certificate of Training – Issued upon course completion
To complete an application packet you must complete the following tasks.
- TWIC – Applicants for original licenses must apply for a TWIC and include the receipt in their application packet.
- Pay.Gov – Go to Pay.Gov and pay processing and issuance of your license.
- CPR & First Aid – Take this USCG Approved Online CPR & First Aid Course. Send a copy of your CPR & First Aid Card in with your application packet.
Application Packet Costs
The total cost of completing a USCG application packet will vary. The figures below are cost estimates based on our experience.
- Physical and Drug Test – $160 – This is our best estimate for a physical and drug test.
- Any primary care physician can complete the USCG Physical (719K).
- We recommend US Drug Test Centers 866-566-0261 for scheduling a drug screen at a local lab.
- TWIC – $125 – Applicants for original licenses must apply for a TWIC.
- Pay.Gov – $145 – Pay for processing and issuance of your license. Renewals and modification of an existing license will cost less.
- CPR & First Aid $74.95 – Online and USCG Approved.
Certificate of Training
The Certificate of Training satisfies USCG testing requirements. Once you complete the course and online final examination your Certificate of Training is issued. As a reminder, you can prepare and submit your application before completing the course. Keep in mind that due to USCG regulation, your Certificate of Training is only valid for one year.
- If you completed the course first, please include your certificate of training with your application.
- If you have already submitted your application, you can send your Certificate of Application via email to email@example.com.
Email your Application Packet
Please follow the USCG Electronic Submission Instructions to email your complete USCG Application Packet to the Regional Examination Center (REC) nearest you. The USCG processes and issues your license once they have evaluated your application packet. The USCG evaluation process takes about four to six weeks.
If your packet is incomplete or filled out incorrectly the USCG will mail you a letter explaining what additional information they need. Get that information together and send it to the USCG to keep the process moving.