Below is information about the Able Seaman Online Module including:
- How to enroll in the module
- Recommended class materials
- How to complete the module
- Scheduling in Person Final Exam
- Certificate of Training
- Application Packet
Enroll in the Able Seaman Online Module
- Click the “Add to cart” button above, view your cart, and proceed to checkout.
- An account is created for you in our online classroom and you are enrolled in the module.
- You receive three emails:
- 1) username and password for the website shopping cart
- 2) username and password for the online classroom
- 3) a receipt for the purchase
Able Seaman Online Module Materials
Everything you need to complete the module is included, no additional class materials are needed.
Complete the Able Seaman Online Module
Complete the module by passing the final quiz with a 96% or higher. Passing the final quiz unlocks the Certificate of Achievement, print the certificate and bring it with you to your in person final exam. Take the quizzes as many times as you like, practice, practice, practice!
The resources and study materials you need to pass the quizzes successfully are in the module. The main resources are:
- Statements to recognize
- Video Lectures
- Practice Quizzes
Schedule the in Person Final Exam
The cost of the in person final exam is included in the price of the module. The in person final exam takes place by appointment at one of our USCG approved testing sites.
Follow these steps to schedule the in person final exam:
- Check out the interactive map below
- Click on a location to get the instructor’s contact information and site address
- Contact the instructor and schedule a time that works for both of you
- Show up with your Certificate of Achievement and take the exam
Your instructor grades your exam right then and there so you know your grade. When you pass your exam the instructor emails your student file to US Captain’s Training and we process your file and issue your Certificate of Training which satisfies testing requirements for the USCG.
Certificate of Training
You must include the Certificate of Training in your Able Seaman (AB) application packet which you mail to a Regional Exam Center to get your AB. Your Certificate of Training will be emailed to you once your file has been processed. You also receive two hard copies of your Certificate of Training and a receipt for the course via snail mail. One copy for your records and one to send to the USCG in your application packet for your AB.
To get your Able Seaman you must submit an application packet to the US Coast Guard Regional Examination Center (REC). For detailed instructions on the application packet visit our Application Page. We have all of the required forms with videos describing how to fill out each section of each form you must submit with your application packet. You are welcome to contact us for help with your application packet.
The Able Seaman is added to a Merchant Mariner Credential. Purchase the module and get lifetime access. Click the “Add to cart” button, view your cart, and proceed to checkout to enroll in the Able Seaman Online Module. To complete the module you need to pass the final quiz, which unlocks the Certificate of Achievement. Print the Certificate of Achievement and bring it with you to your in person final exam.